Sr. Mechanical Engineer
We love Bikes!
We are a well-funded consumer-tech hardware startup based in Brooklyn, New York. Biking is our passion, and our mission is to make cycling easier by offering the public affordable and accessible e-bike technology. We are seeking talented and innovative thinkers to help us scale rapidly.
CLIP, our first product, is a portable propulsion device designed to enable e-bike functionality on regular bikes at a fraction of the cost and complexity of an e-bike or traditional conversion kit. CLIP was featured as a Top Innovation at SXSW 2021 recognized as a TIME Magazine 100 Best Inventions for 2020 and also won a Fast Company Innovation by Design Award last year. CLIP is the only product in the bike mobility upgrade category that is pure ‘plug & play’. And not to brag (well, maybe just a little)… CLIP is light, fits in your backpack & looks great charging on your desk.
At Clip, you will do the work you love, be yourself, and help make a positive impact on climate change and urban congestion, as well as enhance recreation and fitness by persuading people to bike further and more often. If this sounds compelling, a position at Clip may be the right fit for you!
What you will do:
As part of our Product team, you will be focused on all future product development while managing, leading and mentoring a small team (you will help build) of mechanical engineers.
We are looking for an individual that is ready to join the fast-paced culture of an early-stage company and also brings the experience of having successfully done it before. You’ll be constantly thinking and questioning out of the box, dreaming up innovative solutions with your skills and expertise, you’ll turn conceptual product designs into detailed 3D models and 2D drawings, performing all necessary validation. Then, you’ll find and work closely with suppliers and the cross-functional team.
You will work directly with CLIP CEO/Product Manager and third-party professionals to ensure that CLIP products are built according to specifications and shipped to the given timeline. You will also lead further design and engineering iterations from customer feedback.
- Design enclosures, housings, mechanisms and electromechanical components.
- Validate, test, and iterate on existing mechanical and electromechanical systems.
- Identify and work with domestic and overseas vendors for manufacturing quotes, sourcing components, quality assurance, etc.
- Work with EE team for integration of PCBAs, connectors and wire harnesses
- Own CAD databases for complex assemblies
- Document and prepare drawing packages for internal/external uses.
- Manage allocation of team resources and tasks to accomplish projects in a timely manner
- Maintain the Brand image in all communications
- Gather occasional feedback from all customers to make sure they are happy with CLIP
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering.
- 4+ years experience
- Electromechanical (electric vehicle, mechatronics, etc.) background a very strong plus.
- Hands-on prototyping/machine shop experience
- Experience with design and documentation for a variety of manufacturing processes, including injection molding, die-casting, CNC machining, etc
- Manufacturing/DFM experience
- Experience taking product to market.
- Excellent CAD (Solidworks) proficiency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- A passion for biking
- Experience in the mobility/outdoor industry (e-bikes, skateboards, etc) a strong plus.
- Passion for curating content about technology, impact, and biking
- A competitive salary
- Meaningful equity participation
- Health Care
- Access to the brilliant Newlab ecosystem of inspired entrepreneurs in Brooklyn
- A position that improves community health and helps the planet
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds and all decisions regarding hiring, promotion, discipline, and discharge are based on qualifications, merit, and the needs of the business. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Location: Can be Partially Remote but in location at Brooklyn, New York preferred.
Employment Type: Full time
Start Date: TBD
Your application has been successfully submitted.