Senior Software Engineer
About The Position
Optibus seeks to make public transportation better, together. To do this, we provide innovative solutions for public transit planning, scheduling, operations, and data management. Our growing North America team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer.
The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with the Dev Manager and coworkers to design and implement server, API, and general backend infrastructure for Optibus products.
- Advises the team on how applications should be structured, software and database design concerns relevant to data specifications, and technical solutions.
- Responsible for (delegating as needed):
- Leading maintenance and streamlining of current software infrastructure (servers and applications).
- Working with global DevOps team to integrate legacy software deployment.
- Planning integration of legacy software into other company products.
- Addressing urgent incidents & escalated issues.
- Assisting dev team in diagnosing and fixing production server issues.
- Advises the Dev Manager on best practices in regards to privacy, security, performance, and maintainability across Trillium development efforts.
- Participates in pair programming, code reviews, and feedback to support code quality.
- Collaborates on internal team processes and technical documentation.
- Participates in cross-training to mentor and share knowledge with team members.
About the Company
Optibus is passionate about the future of mass transportation – we want more people to use it, and we believe it should take center stage as the world of mobility changes around us.
Our vision is to be the technology engine behind better and more efficient means of mass transit, making it the first choice for passengers and cities alike. Our technology is at the center of making this happen, with a unique combination of AI and optimization algorithms, since better scheduling and operations make for better mass transit service, for all. We’re a well-funded startup whose product is deployed at more than 500 cities worldwide, and we are quickly becoming a leader in the space – and our culture reflects this: we like fun and super smart people, and we’re pretty serious about making mass transportation radically better. We have offices open in the US, UK, Brazil and Israel.
Optibus.com is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
- Resume in English only - a MUST!!
- Professional knowledge of Computer Science with any combination of relevant experience, education, and training.
- 5+ years of experience in software development.
- 3+ years building production-grade Node.js applications.
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL.
- Experience with DevOps and an interest in leading improvement of CI/CD practices.
- High comfort level with the command line: SSH, Bash, light server admin.
- High comfort level with Git & Github.
- Familiarity with test-driven development.
- Collaborative self-motivated problem-solving ability.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to reduce ambiguity.
- Comfortable working remotely and regularly pairing with colleagues on video calls.
- A willingness to jump into complex legacy codebases, debug mysterious issues, and lead the team in API, deployment, and automation improvements.
- This position might include travel, up to 10% time, to meet with colleagues.
It will be great if you have:
- Bachelor's degree or greater in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Understanding of General Transit Specification Feed (GTFS).
- Prior experience with Postgraphile, PostGIS.
- Prior experience with Python and geospatial libraries.
- Comfortable with frontend development, React, and associated frontend tooling.
- Experience with data modeling, working with large relational datasets, and optimizing complex queries.
- Prior experience with AWS, Linode, Cloudflare, and Ansible will be helpful.
- A healthy interest in public transit!
Your application has been successfully submitted.