Public Policy Manager, Sustainable Urban Mobility
About the role
The Public Policy Manager, Sustainable Urban Mobility will lead public affairs and engagement initiatives to shape policy conditions that are beneficial for cities, for people earning with our app, and Uber. In particular, they will focus on cities where EV markets are nascent and our sustainability efforts are just beginning, especially key growth markets including Mexico, Brazil and India.
As a member of the Central Policy team, the Manager will partner closely with our Global Head of Cities Policy and the Global Lead for Sustainability Policy to build global policy development and engagement campaigns for Uber on a variety of sustainability initiatives.
What You'll Do
- Craft internal playbooks and external engagement strategies that demonstrate our substantive sustainable mobility work - including electrification, micromobility, transit and shared rides.
- Cultivate expertise on public policy issues in emerging markets that impact sustainable mobility and electrification specific to their application for our platform services in those regions.
- Prioritize and promote the interests of cities with nascent EV markets and sustainable mobility initiatives in the development of sustainability-related vehicle supply efforts and product development.
- Collaborate with Uber's local public policy teams around the world to actively communicate the impact of our sustainability programs, build policy and business opportunities, and mitigate policy risks.
- Be a strong counterpart to our growing cross-functional Sustainability team including colleagues from Strategy, Operations, Business Development, and Product teams.
- 7+ years of expertise in government, public affairs, policy development, law, transportation, the automotive industry, and/or the energy industry.
- Knowledge of the regulatory landscape and key organizations influencing the markets for EVs and cleaner vehicles, ideally for low and middle-income countries.
- Prior experience in the technology sector, or more specifically a marketplace business.
- Connections to key companies, utilities, government agencies, advocacy organizations, or researchers in the sustainable mobility, EV, and alternative fuels space.
- Ability to drive cross-functional engagements and build positive relationships internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal + written) skills.
- Ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications that can inform policy positions.
- Advanced degree (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) and/or degrees in urban/transportation planning or public policy.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, Uber recommends all US- and Canada-based employees to be vaccinated in order to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
Your application has been successfully submitted.