Sr Director, Internal Communications
About the Team
The Communications team tells the story of how DoorDash empowers local economies by connecting customers to the best of their communities. As a part of that larger team, the Internal Communications team focuses on reaching and connecting with one of our most important audiences: employees. The team is a collaborative group that works with cross-functional partners across every part of DoorDash’s business. A roll-up-your-sleeves attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and an ability to understand and communicate the company’s strategies, priorities and impact, coupled with a true team spirit and the ability to juggle projects, are what makes this group so effective. This role will require deep expertise in Internal Communications, experience building and running high-impact teams, a vision for how to engage employees across a wide range of teams, roles and geographies, and the operational excellence to enable your team to execute it.
About the Role
DoorDash is hiring an all-star communicator and leader to oversee Internal Communications. This person will be responsible for crafting the overall strategy to help employees understand the bigger “why” and “how” behind company priorities and decisions. This leader will build, guide and grow a high-impact team that will ensure their colleagues across the company know what other teams are building and doing to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers, and how that work drives our ability to achieve DoorDash’s mission of empowering local economies.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Lead the Internal Communications function and strategy, overseeing the team that is responsible for keeping employees up-to-date on DoorDash’s goals, progress, new initiatives and ongoing efforts on behalf of our stakeholders;
- Partner with External Communications counterparts and other key functions to effectively align DoorDash’s storytelling across all internal and external audiences;
- Collaborate with and counsel executive leadership on internal communications strategies, initiatives and materials in order to better inform and engage employees;
- Leverage existing and create new events and opportunities that will deepen DoorDash employees’ connection to each other, the business and our mission, and partner with internal stakeholders to map a companywide annual calendar of events;
- Work with your team to continue to assess and optimize existing channels for Internal Communications to strengthen all employees’ understanding of company strategy and culture, while also spearheading the exploration of new and innovative ways to reach and engage a diverse range of internal audiences;
- Provide strategic guidance and support to senior leadership on how to craft narratives and develop and convey compelling content to engage and inspire their own teams and the broader company.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 12-15+ years experience developing and executing effective, innovative Internal Communications campaigns - and 5+ years experience of managing high-performing teams that do so;
- You are an innovative and creative thinker who can articulate a compelling narrative and get down into the lowest level of detail in order to bring it to life;
- You are customer-obsessed, always seeking to better understand the multifaceted audience you’re trying to reach, what kind of information they crave, and how to most effectively deliver it to them;
- You possess excellent people and project management skills, with the ability to inspire while managing multiple time-sensitive projects under tight deadlines;
- You are confident in managing all levels of internal stakeholders and have a track record of working effectively with executive leadership (C-suite level) and a broad range of cross-functional partners;
- You have experience and thrive in fast-paced, fluid and challenging environments;
- You take your work, but not yourself, seriously—and maintain a good sense of humor about both.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
Pursuant to the New York City Pay Transparency Law, the base salary range in New York City for this position is $220,000.00-$330,000.00, plus opportunities in certain roles for equity and/or commission. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
Your application has been successfully submitted.