Engineering and Installation Technician
Bimotal Engineering and Installation Technician Job Description
Bimotal was founded in 2019 to develop innovative micro-electric powertrains for right-sized personal vehicles. We are a group of Tesla, startup, and bike industry alumni working towards our mission of reducing barriers to car-free mobility. In addition to our direct-to-consumer product, Elevate, an easily retrofittable and removable powertrain that converts disc-brake bicycles into e-bikes, we have also partnered with vehicle OEMs (bikes and other micromobility vehicles) to provide them with high-performance powertrains specifically designed for their needs. Bimotal is positioning itself as a technology company with the aim of making the best microelectric powertrains in the world, and eventually, the best personal-sized electric vehicles. Come join us in building the future of transportation.
As a Technician at Bimotal, you will gain hands-on experience prototyping, building, testing, and installing world-class hardware for Bimotal’s groundbreaking electric powertrains. You’ll join and learn from an experienced engineering team focused on exceeding the status quo for small powertrain performance on the way to transforming mobility--through products such as ebike motors all the way to vertically-integrated micromobility transportation systems. Bimotal is a fast-growing startup; be ready to take ownership of projects with real stakes, work independently, and tackle unfamiliar and challenging problems. This position requires attention to detail, problem solving, commitment to process, appreciation of efficiency, and patience.
- Assemble, modify, service, troubleshoot, and test prototype and production hardware with engineering team’s guidance; thoroughly document corresponding work
- Design and create custom tools, fixtures, and processes to improve assembly, testing, and analysis efficiency
- Installation of our ebike system on customer bicycles; documenting and troubleshooting any installation issues to help engineering team improve the product
- Failure analysis, teardown, re-assembly, and repair of electromechanical systems
- 5+ years engineering technician experience
- Use of hand tools, manual machine tools, soldering, wiring, additive and subtractive tools, and other methods to rapidly prototype and solve problems
- Ability to focus, give attention to detail, with a strong commitment to quality
- Excellent reading, writing, and spoken communication skills
- Ability to efficiently find technical information on manufacturer’s websites, forums, and other web searches
- Team player, creative, flexible when requirements change, adaptable and able to solve complex and sometimes poorly defined problems, gives context to bigger picture
- Proficiency in online email, MS Excel/Google Spreadsheets, and MS Word/Google Docs
- Document work and train others to do work that you have done
- Preferred - SMT soldering capability, experience with PCBA rework
- Preferred - experience as a bike mechanic, experience with ebike systems
- Preferred - bike enthusiast with deep understanding of bicycle components and maintenance. Ability to bleed hydraulic brakes, adjust shifters, true wheels, etc.
Please fill out a Bimotal Application Submission to apply for this position. Bimotal includes a health insurance stipend, allows for 1 remote work day per week (4 days in person at our Berkeley office), and has flexible PTO as well as regular holidays. Our office is in a beautiful location and is walking distance to many great lunch spots (2 blocks to our favorite burrito spot, Picante), Amtrak, and BART. All employees receive significant equity packages--we want you to have significant ownership in the work that you will be doing here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electrify your bike