Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Bimotal Sr. Embedded Software Engineer Job Description
Bimotal was founded in 2019 to develop innovative micro-electric powertrains for right-sized personal vehicles. We are a group of Tesla, startup, and bike industry alumni working towards our mission of reducing barriers to car-free mobility. In addition to our direct-to-consumer product, Elevate, an easily retrofittable and removable powertrain that converts disc-brake bicycles into e-bikes, we have also partnered with vehicle OEMs (bikes and other micromobility vehicles) to provide them with high-performance powertrains specifically designed for their needs. Bimotal is positioning itself as a technology company with the aim of making the best microelectric powertrains in the world, and eventually, the best personal-sized electric vehicles. Come join us in building the future of transportation.
As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer at Bimotal, you will architect world-class software for Bimotal’s electric powertrains. This is an opportunity to take a high degree of ownership over multiple projects spanning motor control firmware, BMS firmware, test infrastructure, and more. As Bimotal builds highly integrated systems for a budding micromobility industry, you’ll be able to creatively solve problems with fewer constraints. Bimotal is a fast-growing startup; be ready to take a leadership role on your team, constantly push technical boundaries, and tackle unfamiliar and challenging problems.
- Architect software and algorithms for motor control, battery management, and/or wireless communication embedded systems
- Design unit and hardware-in-the-loop tests and test infrastructure; drive test coverage
- Be a resource for other software engineers
- Leverage your knowledge of software tools and best practices to help your team work effectively
- Collaborate with hardware engineers during the design process
- Lead bring-up and debug of embedded hardware
- Draw up technical roadmaps and engineering requirements based on product feedback and your understanding of how to push the limits of performance
- Expert knowledge of C/C++
- Extensive experience writing firmware for embedded systems, both bare-metal and RTOS
- Strong awareness of typical microcontroller architectures and capabilities
- Experience with build systems/pipelines
- Proficiency with source control tools such as git
- Experience building software and hardware test infrastructure
- Experience bringing up and debugging circuit boards
- Strong electrical engineering fundamentals and experience interfacing components
- Strong knowledge of embedded communication protocols including I2C, SPI, and CAN
- Proficiency with laboratory equipment including oscilloscopes and logic analyzers
- Experience and interest in leading other engineers
- Preferred - Strong knowledge of Python
- Preferred - Experience with brushless DC motor control, classical control systems, and/or battery management systems
Please fill out a Bimotal Application Submission to apply for this position. Bimotal includes a health insurance stipend, allows for 1 remote work day per week (4 days in person at our Berkeley office), and has flexible PTO as well as regular holidays. Our office is in a beautiful location and is walking distance to many great lunch spots (2 blocks to our favorite burrito spot, Picante), Amtrak, and BART. All employees receive significant equity packages--we want you to have significant ownership in the work that you will be doing here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electrify your bike